This day and age, technology has replaced our imagination, and the ones who suffer the most are our children. We can usually look back on our childhood and note that when it came to fun, the outdoor is where the magic happened. We played hide and seek, built forts, played sports, and don’t forget those mud pies! Children today are the first to say, “I’m bored,” if electronics are not an option. However, their options of play are only hampered by their imaginations when they go outside! We have come up with some activities to get you and your family started on laughing and playing beneath the beautiful blue sky:
• Feed the birds: Make homemade birdfeeders that will make the birds sing! Keep a journal to record what type of birds turn your backyard into a regular hangout.
• Sidewalk: Chalk on the sidewalk is not only fun to create art with, but also exciting for hopscotch or a life-size board game that your family can create themselves. Either use toys for the pieces or become part of the game and walk the board yourself!
• Build it: There is nothing better than a good old-fashioned fort for your kids to build and explore. Supervise as they create a hilarious hiding space.
• If it’s hot, the water’s not: Water balloons, squirt guns, and a sprinkler can go a long way when boredom strikes!
• Paint it up: Rock, pinecone, and stick painting can be fun and when displayed can really bring your house to life!
• Find it: Make a scavenger hunt for your kids outside and reward them for finding all the treasure.
• Wash it: Turn up some music and get everyone involved in a soapy car wash. Nothing beats suds and suits as you have fun cleaning your family vehicle.
• Rev it up: Remember how fun remote control cars were? Make a track outside and rev up those battery-powered engines!
• Pop it: Get out those bubbles, and see who can make the biggest one! W