Summertime is the best time to host festivities outdoors. Whether it’s a barbeque, brunch or party, there are many ways to be the hostess with the mostess. You want to make your guests feel at home, entertained, invited and comfortable. What have you enjoyed the most at a backyard gathering over the years? Was it the food, drinks, games, or maybe even the décor? Whatever it is, add that to your list, and for your convenience, we’ve compiled a list to make your backyard parties extra special this summer!
• Drinks: Self-serve drinking stations are fashionable and practical. Make sure that you are fully stocked on water, as well.
• Seating: Maintain lots of additional seating areas. Blankets and towels on the lawn are fun. Renting is a great way to go as well, just be sure to prepare well in advance!
• Beat the Heat: Summers in southern California heat up fast, so plan ahead by creating plenty of shade, adding misters, and having outdoor fans to help circulate air, providing a slight breeze that will help relieve heat.
• Food: Bite-sized appetizers and a menu with a wide variety is a plus. Have more than one trash can available. Cover all food to avoid bugs, and encourage everyone to recycle.
• Restroom: Make your restroom available, fully stocked, and clean.
• Ambiance: Keep your lawn prepped. Linens, flowers, and great tableware go a long way. At night, try tea lights, mosquito-repellent candles, and stringed lights.
• Fire: If you have an outdoor fireplace, it’s the perfect centerpiece for gathering.
• Music: Create your own playlist, or if you’re feeling really festive, hire a DJ.
• Safety: Sunscreen and proper swimming gear is a must. Make sure no children are left unattended. If you’re serving alcohol, be mindful of limits, who is driving, and be cautious of children who are in attendance.
The key to an amazing backyard get-together is to ensure you are prepared ahead of time. Set the mood, enjoy the food and have a great time! W