“Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” – Steve Jobs
Here is a list of 28 tips to live your best life. As you work on these tips, you’ll find yourself becoming more mindful and feeling more alive.
1. Have a Goal: You need a goal if you want to feel alive. Whether it’s a financial goal or a vacation goal, you need to have a target in order to feel engaged with life at any age.
2. Learn a New Skill: In life we’re either growing or we’re dying. Bring something new into your life by learning a new skill. Do you want to master a new language? How about learning how to play the piano?
3. Get Up and Move: If you want to live a long life, you need to have a healthy body and exercise regularly. You’ll feel energized when you exercise, and your body will release endorphins which make you feel happy.
4. Read Books: Well-rounded, successful, engaging people read a lot of books because they know reading is a great way to exercise their mind and feed their soul.
5. Love More: Tell someone you love them. If you haven’t found your soulmate yet, it’s OK – you can tell anyone you love. Spread the love you want, and people will return the favor.
6. Appreciate Everything: Learn to appreciate whatever comes into your life. When people do you a favor, don’t forget to say thank you. Better yet, write a thank you note or send an email.
7. Be Grateful: If you want to feel more alive, you need to appreciate and be thankful for everything you have in your life: your love, your parents, your house, your dog, your car, your computer, your phone, etc. Every morning or every night before you go to sleep, write a gratitude list.
8. Meet New People: Get to know one new person every month. You should do this even if you’re an introvert. As human beings, we need to have a sense of connection to feel alive. Expand your network and get out and meet new people.
9. Get a Massage, Go to a Spa, or Meditate: You need to treat yourself and your body well. Meditation is a great way to feel centered.
10. Catch a Sunrise: Enjoying a sunrise every morning is a perfect way to start your day feeling refreshed.
11. Find a Mentor: When you know what you want to accomplish in your life, seek out those people who’ve done it before you. Make at least one of them your mentor. Let them guide you so you can reach your destination faster.
12. Cook a Meal for Someone: It doesn’t matter if you’re not a great chef. As long as you put in the effort and cook with “heart,” it’ll be a great meal. There are millions of recipes for you to follow – therefore, no excuses.
13. Adopt a New Habit: A habit isn’t easy to either break or adopt. However, if you have the will, you can accomplish anything. Just imagine what you could do if you were able to adopt just one or two new habits every year?
14. Smile and Feel Happy for No Reason: You don’t need a reason to smile or feel happy. Smile more often and always be happy. No matter what happens, you’ll still need to get through life, so why not experience it in a happy state?
15. Spend Time Alone: Occasionally, we all need to spend time in solitude and just be alone. Listen to your inner voice and get to know yourself better.
16. Learn to Forgive: You can never move forward if you hold grudges. It’s when you forgive and let go that you’ll be able to free yourself in order to reach higher ground. Therefore, stop holding grudges about whatever has happened in the past.
17. Follow Your Passion: If you want to feel alive, just follow your passion and do what you love doing. Could you imagine spending every day working on things that you hate?
18. Conquer Your Fear: What are you afraid of? Find a way to face your fears and conquer them. If you conquer what you fear, you’ll be able to achieve much more… and then nothing will stop you!
19. Do Something New: Do something that you’ve never tried before. Doing something new will create new neural patterns in your brain, which will make you feel “fresh” and more engaged with the activities.
20. Start Every Day Great: Choose to wake up early, spend time exercising, review your goals, plan your schedule, and enjoy a healthy breakfast to start your morning. You’ll feel energetic and ready to tackle the day!
21. Pray in a Sacred Place: Whether it’s in a temple, church, or mosque, pray with your heart. There are a few important things in life we really should engage in, and one of them is our spirituality.
22. Donate or Volunteer: What goes around comes around, so make it a habit to consistently volunteer to do good in your community and in the world. When you donate, internal changes happen. You’ll feel more confident and it’ll reinforce the mindset of abundance in your own life.
23. Love and Spend Time with Family: Living your best life starts at home. If you don’t love your parents and your family, how do you expect others to love you? If your parents are still around, put aside what’s happened in the past and just love them. Remember that they’re human and they’ve made mistakes – just like you.
24. Take Responsibility: Stop blaming others and complaining about things that aren’t happening the way you want. You can’t control the direction of the wind, but you can always control your sail to help you reach your destination.
25. Watch Your Words: Whatever comes out of your mouth can either hurt you or help you. Stop using abusive words and think before you speak. If you’ve hurt someone, apologize to them and learn to speak with grace.
26. Take Care of Your Health: Whenever possible, try to take supplements. Eat more vegetables and fruits. Exercise regularly and stay healthy. If you eat junk food, your body will soon associate with junk. If you eat a healthy diet, you’ll feel more energetic and vibrant.
27. Stop Pleasing Everyone: There’s a saying that goes “I don’t know what the secret to success is, but the secret to failure is to please everybody.” You can’t be everything to everyone.
28. Be Yourself: You don’t have to pretend or act the way other people want you to – you just need to be yourself. Be authentic and people will value you for who you are. Besides, it’s the only way you can truly live your best life! W