As we welcome the holidays, we begin to project what it will be like to spend time with family and friends. There’s a special energy when holiday decorations appear all around us. Pandora and Spotify begin promoting their holiday music channels, and conversations are heard about who will host the holidays this year. We remember our childhood and the expectation of great things to come.
As a business owner and leader, and as head of a family, we begin to think of all the beautiful people we’ve touched and have been touched by; the special moments we’ve created; the children and grandchildren, as well as those who are no longer with us in our business and personal life.
We begin to take inventory of our life and how we’re living it, and we ask ourselves: What legacy am I leaving behind? How can I be a better leader for my family and my work team next year? Who should I focus on growing, and what’s the best path for them?
As we close out this year and approach new beginnings in 2018, here are some guiding principles that can help you as you celebrate new beginnings this year.
Dr. Betty’s Top Guiding Principles:
1. Lead with #Values. Get clear on what’s truly important to you and act accordingly. Look at your calendar and your bank statement; where you choose to spend your time and money is an indication of your values.
2. Protect your brand. This is done by living and acting according to your values.
3. Find your own voice. Don’t try to mimic someone else. Be proud of who you are and find your own style.
4. Seek out champions. Mentors are advisors as you grow, but champions will put their reputation on the line for you.
5. Inspire other leaders to be the best version of themselves. This is how you duplicate yourself and touch more people along the way.
6. Leave a legacy. Don’t forget about the people who will come after you. Never forget that “Children are the messengers we send to a time we will never see.” ~Author unknown
7. Step into the light. Carry yourself with pride. Be confident of who you are and your accomplishments. Step into your fear.
8. Don’t ever, ever forget where you came from, and bring others along. Pay it forward.
9. Trust your instincts. You will have many Blink (read the book) moments. Listen to your inner voice and trust yourself.
10. Be in gratitude. We don’t do this alone. Thank those around you who support you in your journey. Gratitude brings joy and abundance.
11. Lead with a higher purpose. Live a purposeful life and everything will fall in line.
12. Surround yourself with people who are better than you. As my mother used to say, “Dime con quién andas y te diré quién eres” – “Tell me who you’re with and I’ll tell you who you are.”
And Don’t Ever Forget:
1. The devil is in the details. That is where you differentiate yourself. Watch the small details; the large ones are easy to see. This is especially true for expenses.
2. Life is about moments. “Leaders have access to moments… Don’t miss them.” ~Debby Benton
3. Caring is our competitive advantage. Do everything as if your reputation depends on it – because it does!
As you approach your own holiday season, think about what your new beginning is and how you will approach it. Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life!
Dr. Betty Uribe is Executive Vice President of California Bank & Trust
© Copyright by Dr. Betty Uribe