Microneedling is a procedure that’s growing in popularity among men and women across the globe. It involves the use of very tiny needles to create hundreds of invisible puncture wounds on the top layer of your skin. While it might not sound very comfortable or appealing, it’s less uncomfortable than you might expect, and the benefits certainly speak for themselves.
Microneedling is a simple process, but it’s one of the most effective non-surgical procedures available. Benefits include all of the following:
• Reduction of fine lines and wrinkles. Wrinkles form when your skin no longer has a sufficient amount of collagen to keep it plump. Microneedling triggers the production of new collagen, which means the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles will improve over time – especially if you have microneedling done regularly.
• Repairing visible scars. Whether you have a scar from an injury, surgery, or even acne, microneedling can help substantially reduce its appearance.
• Reversal of sun damage and hyperpigmentation. Stimulating the growth of new collagen can even help reverse the effects of UVA/UVB damage and the hyperpigmentation that can occur as a result. Women who have pregnancy or hormone-related melasma can also benefit from the reversing effects of microneedling.
• Improving the signs of aging. The number one reason why people across the globe undergo microneedling is to reverse the signs of aging and stop them in their tracks. Loss of collagen is responsible for the appearance of aging skin, so being able to stimulate its production will leave you looking younger and more vibrant.
• Shrinking pores. Last, but most certainly not least, microneedling can even shrink pores, which can improve the overall look and texture of your skin. As collagen production increases, the skin around your pores becomes plumper, thus reducing the size of your pores and improving your appearance.
Microneedling is a wonderful way to enjoy more radiant and youthful skin, and while it’s most commonly done on the face, the treatment has been approved for use on the entire body. In fact, preliminary findings from ongoing studies have shown that regular microneedling can even reduce the look of cellulite and stretch marks just as it reduces the appearance of scars on the face.
Nina Gaetano, BS, PA-C, is the Medical Director of Bella Sol Med Spa